Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Aquarium of the Americas


On most Saturday mornings if you visit the aquarium, I will greet you in this manner as you walk through the Caribbean Tunnel.

I have been a volunteer diver with the aquarium since 1998. I took a short break after Hurricane Katrina visited New Orleans, because of logistical problems associated with working and commuting from Baton Rouge to New Orleans. I've recently returned after an 1.5 year hiatus I am happy to be back and retirement has enabled me to handle my volunteer duties with diligence.

There is great personal joy associated with the smiling faces of the visitors to the facility. My greatest satisfaction comes as I observe the joy on the faces of the children. Although there is a large Plexiglas window between the divers and the visitors, communication is easier than speaking via vocal expression.

There is a tremendous amount of personal satisfaction associated with this task that I hope to do this forever.

No comments: